Monday, November 29, 2010

Homemade Humbug Christmas Hat

I made this hat for my husband last Christmas as a last minute gift. I stayed up way too late, or should I say, way too early to make this - but it was one of those "I've got to do it" moments. I made it from the materials I had on hand so I think it turned out pretty good considering. The purpose for the hat? For my husband to wear when he puts up the Christmas lights. He has a history of getting in a bad mood when it comes to putting up the lights for several reasons - the tangled mess of lights coming out of storage, putting the lights up only to find out they don't work even though when we checked them they worked, oh and the list can go on and on. This hat must have some Christmas magical properties because light hanging day this year went without a hitch. I totally recommend the hat for those bah humbug moments. This is all made from scrap fleece. I compared one of my husbands hats to get the width I needed and just improvised how to sew it. I cut out the letters free hand and hand sewed them on. For the pom pom I cut out a BIG circle, stitched loosely around the the whole edge, and pulled the thread tight to gather the fabric together to form a ball. I stuffed the ball with stuffing before I secured it and then sewed on top of the hat.

Humbug Hat
Hat action shot

No comments:

Post a Comment