Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pot Holder Organizer For Your Purse - Tutorial

This purse organizer is made out of a POT HOLDER. It is an easy and cute organizer that you can put in your purse, diaper bag, car, gym bag, suitcase, etc., etc. I am thinking it would also be perfect to bring to someone who is in the hospital with handy items in it like lotion, mints, lip balm, etc., etc. The possibilities are endless. Here is how I made it:


The supplies you will need are:
1) a pot holder with the hangy hook thing in the middle
2) needle/thread and sewing machine
3)1/2 to 3/4" ribbon to match pot holder
4) large button
5) re-sealable lunch bags (I used five)


Directions:

1) Fold the pot holder in half and draw a line down the middle crease with a noticeable color. My pot holder was black, so I drew thick white line. You will need to see this through the plastic.

2) Place the desired amount of bags on the pot holder one on top of the other. It is a bit tricky to get them to stay perfectly square on each other so a little two sided tape may help on the bottom half of the bags as those will be cut off soon. Making sure the bags are far enough down so you won't see them when you close the organizer, baste stitch across the pot holder - through the bags - with big enough stitches that you can easily remove them later.


3) Trim the bottom of the bags just below the basting stitch.


4) With a ribbon trimmed to fit the width of the pot holder, and the middle of the ribbon resting on the drawn line, sew one seam just above the basted stitch, and the other seam just below it. I used the edge of my ribbon to guide my sewing when I assured that the middle of the ribbon was aligned with the drawn line (which is the center of the pot holder). After stitching on the ribbon, remove the basting stitch.


5) Sew on a button. To find out where to place the button - fold the organizer in half and determine where the button will go. The hangy hooky thingy (I don't know what it is called) will need to be able to hook around the button to secure the organizer closed. The button I used was off a little girls pony tail holder that I got at a $ store. I love the bling it adds to this organizer.


6) Add what you want to the re-sealable bags. I added safety pins, toothpicks, floss, Tylenol/Advil, bandaids, and cotton swabs.
There are so many things that could go in here.



Now fold it up and tuck it in your purse. It is a handy little accessory!
Thanks for looking!

I have linked up here...
Visit thecsiproject.com


Iron Violet Designs

3 comments:

  1. Sue,

    Where to start ...? This is AMAZING. I am smitten with how simple and cool this idea is. I can not wait to whip up one of these for my purse.

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You are so creative. I need to make one for my purse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I'm going to have to make (at least) one! :)

    ReplyDelete